Wednesday, January 23, 2008

R.I.P. Heath...

Sorry to see you go ...

This was an actor who's films I truly enjoyed. I can honestly say that I've seen most of his work, with the exception of The Order, and the Gay Movie ...

What really strikes me as odd about all of this, is just a couple weeks back when I wrote this post, about the upcoming Dark Knight film, I deleted an entire paragraph talking about how it's gonna be hard for him to live down his role as the Gay Cowboy; and then he dies....

What an almost prophetic vibe that was - really bugs me out - because now that he's died, all people are doing is talking about his role as ... the Gay Cowboy; I started to write, that this new role as the joker may free him from that perception, but who's really to say - and from the trailers, it Looks like he's given - yet again - another great performance.

Now, I didn't watch Brokeback Mountain, because I'm just not interested in a movie about gay dudes. However I deleted the paragraph about it, because I did not want any "gay backlash" from people who (easily) get the wrong interpretation from the words people use; I didn't want people to think that being known as the gay cowboy would necessarily be a bad thing - however we would be foolish to think that homosexuality is entirely accepted in American Culture.

When I saw the trailer for Rendition, a movie starring his Co-Star, Jake Gyllenhaal, I commented to friends "oh that's the dude from the gay movie"

So I was really tempted to include that in my original posting.... and then the guy dies!

While this is extremely tragic, allow me to take you back a bit to his earlier films which I truly enjoyed. Such as ...

10 Things I hate about you - I enjoyed this movie as much for julia stiles as I did for Heath's performance as a guy trying to impress a woman who's not impressed by anyone or anything.

A Knight's tale - a Wonderful film about a guy trying to "Change His Stars..." - I found this movie to be incredibly inspirational and motivational, especially since I was not born with a silver (golden) spoon in my mouth. Not to mention, the leading lady was refreshing to the eyes... :) Not bad to look at, at all.

Monster's Ball - what a great job he did, in short time - That movie really took me by surprise, along with my date that night; We both talked about how so many parts we just were not prepared for; The movie starts out with Heath giving it to a prostitute from the back ... yea, way to start off a film! But what really took me by surprise was when he offed himself in the living room - Didn't see that coming at all. In a way, he was the Symbolic Hero of this film; He was the main reason his father, played by Billy Bob, could recognize the error of his ways - and the effects that the hatred of racism has on our lives - how it spills out into the home - it's a truly destructive force. - and More so than Hallie's fat son, who couldn't stop eating, or Hallie's terrible parenting skills, Heath's performance as an open minded white dude who had the balls to stand up to his racist parent and grand parent, in a world where so many white people cave into the pressure of racism put on them by their family... was just utterly fantastic.

... anyone who knows me, knows I digg "message movies" ... So I gave him big props for Monster's Ball.

The Patriot - I also enjoyed him in this film. Mel Gibson was a true G ... but I liked his role as well. Been a while since I saw this, but I think he dies in that movie too; and that really set Mel off.

But I suppose that since he never got nominated for an Oscar over these films, the one that he DID get nominated for, would natually take front and center.

... but who knows, his portrayal of The Joker could be Oscar worthy... too bad he won't even get a chance to find out. To his family, my condolences and my deepest sympathy...

No comments: