Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Information Hell : Ted Koppel thaProphet.



Attention, Attention, Attention ... I got that from a book I'm reading called the "Attention Economy" - I'm also thumbing through another book called "The Power of Focus" - cant you tell that I've gotta do something to manage My attention span?

Ted Koppel was right! That video must be about 20-25 years old, but We are currently living in the age of which he spoke of. There are Soooo many people who simply do not listen. And it's because they have so much to listen to.

We are living in a time where there are So many who are uninformed; frankly because they do not have time to get informed on what matters; From all the time spent getting informed on things that just do not.

So, what do we do when we're living in a world where distractions have been created for us at record level - where the media, as Ted Koppel admitted years ago, is not discriminating between what's Important, and what's Mundane; How do we cope?

They say that knowledge is power and while I know that it's acting on knowledge that = power, not just having knowledge alone; I hope that having been informed about how Information is being shoveled at you is negatively effecting you, that you will be able to raise your sheilds, and screen more of it out.

Often I find myself having to fight to get back to things I "should have" been doing. SO many desires are out there - things I'd "like to do" - many are fleeting emotions; Whims that hit me and leave 10 minutes later, leaving me with regret for falling into them.

Now is the time for attention! - and as I work hard to improve mine, to focus and channel it on the things that matter - I'd like to also encourage others to join me in this challenge - to overcome the gluttony of information hell.

No comments: